Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Hey friends,

Just thought to let you know why development slows down at the moment.

I experience lots of Windows 10 crashes again since the last Windows update at sunday, which makes working nearly impossible. I guess i first have to solve this before i can go on in a useful manner. Which may become a hard task. The last time i ended in reinstalling Windows from scratch, which i am not really keen to do.

Hardware tests are okay as usual. Crash check software like WhoCrashed does not find the exact cause. Just a hint that it is something software or driver related. The one is a crash in dxgkrnl.sys ,  which is the directx graphics kernel. And the other the almighty ntoskrnl.exe , which is the Windows kernel. And it happens completely random. Maybe somebody has an idea here. I have so far updated my graphics card driver, which did not fix the crashes.

This is the second time this year that Windows 10 becomes too unstable to be useful for me. The last time i had so much trouble was with Windows 98.

Reiner

This is my signature. You can change your signature in the profile

#22254 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

.. what is your hardware?

I’ve been using Windows 10 for a while now, and it has been really stable. I do use a tech insider x64 build though, on the slow ring, and run a mid age GTX 1060 with Nvidia graphics on Intel chipset. I do have to admit, when I was using AMD graphics cards, I had a lot of issues, eventually with the card dying out not 3 years in (and I remember reinstalling OS, drivers, everything before it ultimately went pixel glitchy and was really evident it was the graphics), but with MSI Nvidia, no problems. Since it’s a DirectX issue, it might be related to graphics hardware or other hardware or driver conflicts – though the issue coming in from an Update might mean it’s OS specific, system files being corrupt?  I know my solutions and experience could be remotely dissimilar…

Also, another issue that might cause this is the CPU  chipset or RAM sometimes. Intel is known not for performance, but stability. I used to use competing chipsets for price over performance, but they have an architectural flaw that when the chip idles, it can crash the system heavily. I have also found, as a result, more stability with Intel processors. That has helped a lot – but digging a little on the internet looking for the dxgkrnl.sys says it either is the drivers, Nvidia surround with multidisplay, or try getting the latest windows update to fix – or ultimately it could be hardware failure, either RAM or CPU. But you’ve done memory checks, disk checks, swapped out the graphics card, reset overclocking of the cpu in bios – if you were using overclocking – turned off hibernating, power saving off to be on full so no energy saving for best performance, did a DX check, done a systems files check, etc?

This link might help, if you haven’t tried it out already. Has a bunch of routine steps for that kernel.
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/disk-recovery/dxgkrnl-sys.html

I love swapping out parts when it comes to bluescreens – it demysitifies it quickly: check graphics first, then ram, then harddrives, then ultimately the CPU. Keeping my frankenstein old machines have helped for that… I hope you can find the culprit! It must be there somewhere… :scratch:

:dance:

#22255 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

AAA! I can’t even post here anymore. Three crashes while trying 😀

I guess i will start with a reinstall next week again. Makes no sense anymore. I tried now all usual steps. But meanwhile i have the third kind of bluescreen. Three to four a day.

I have a Ryzen 3700x. And a 1060 GTX graphics card. With 32 Gb ram.

And i know the culprit. It is called Windows 10 updates. All was well until sunday. But there is no chance to find out what update has killed my installation. It’s one of those almighty cumulative ones -.-

#22256 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Jeesus christ, is there another way to do a rollback? I think once you have Windows 10 installed, doing a fresh clean without a full install is pretty easy – that has saved me before committing to a clean slate.

#22257 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

What you most probably mean is inplace upgrade. Which i will try next week. First backup everything …

#22258 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Starting with backup and further experiments now …

#22259 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Things went surprisingly fast. Inplace update done. I have now a clean new Windows it seems. With all my software and settings still intact.

Now let’s see if the crashes are gone too …

#22260 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Crazy, the new created Windows folder is now 2 gb bigger than the former one. Windows …

#22261 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Now i am doomed. Yet another bluescreen.

Observation: again my browser Vivaldi was open. Let’s have a look if switching to another browser fixes the problem …

#22262 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Did not help. Crash happens with Opera too.

I am clueless.

#22284 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

The problem is not to nail down. Hardwaretests are all okay. Dumpfile gives no exact hint. All Drivers updated and downgraded. No result. Still random crashes with clicks in the browser.

Installing Windows and all my software from scratch now. In hope that this will eliminate the problem.

#22287 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

No luck. I start to run out of options 🙁

#22288 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

So running the OS on minimal swapped out ram, swapped out graphics card, minimal harddrives connected (only OS one) still pulls a blue screen even with a fresh clean installation? :dash:

Maybe the CPU is bugging out?

#22289 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Also… have you tried installing to another harddrive? I have had diagnostics not find issues on harddrives, but had one bad drive glitch my system out with bluescreens before – though it targeted a graphics dll and windows systems dll’s also, that was also a frustrating experience – swapping it out fixed that. In general, over the years I’ve learnt that, regardless of the dll or software issue, a bluescreen has generally been a hardware failure, a dirty contact, a failing component, etc – swapping out chunks of the machines really helps to target and test which one it could be through a process of elimination. But me here is just just shooting in the dark, hoping you win.

God, I know the pain. I wish I could just get you a new machine somehow.

A friend of mine with another AMD chipset just went with linux Manjaro cause his bluescreens just wasn’t solveable even with new components (minus graphics), nor latest drivers and OS reinstallations like you. Nothing wrong afterwards, his linux just pushes through hardware limitations in a stable mannor. I went with Intel chipsets and have never gotten bluescreens again in years. I can hardly remember the last blue screen.

#22290 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Me neither. The last time i had so much trouble was with Win 98. But it does not help, i have to find the baddie. Linux is no option. I have too many software still reqiring a Windows OS. Starts with my music equipment already. And i cannot easily replace components. Since i have to buy it first. That’s an expensive way of testing ^^

What makes it so hard and timecomsuming here is that the error is not to reproduce this easily. It can be that the system runs fine for hours. With the same things that i do when it crashes. And then i touch the same thing three in a row, and get three bluescreens. Like answering here. I guess i have mentioned the bluescreens above with one post here.

Ah, nothing worse than a unstable system -.-

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.