All in one, Free and Open Source 3D creation
What is Bforartists?
Bforartists is a complete, free and open source 3D suite to create 3D content. It offers you the full 3D art pipeline to create game graphics, prerendered movies and stills. From modeling, sculpting, texturing, rigging, animation, rendering, up to post processing.
Bforartists stands for Be For Artists. A reminder to develop for the user, not the programmer.
Bforartists is a fork of the popluar open source 3D software Blender. Developed by some 3D enthusiasts to make Blender even better.
The primary goal of the Bforartists fork is to deliver a better graphical UI and a better usability. This means a complete switch in the usage philosophy. Away from the hotkey and speed centered usage. Towards a user friendly and intuitive graphical UI.
Bforartists is fully compatible with the Blender files and addons. Every feature that works in Blender should also work in Bforartists. And we are always up to date with the newest Blender version. The toolset is the same. Where we differ is the UI and the handling. Try it out. You can switch from Blender to Bforartists to Blender without problems. You won’t loose anything
Why choose Bforartists, and not Blender?
Because our UI is streamlined, cleaner, better organized, has colored icons, left aligned text, and much more of all those things that makes a good UI and the life easier. Bforartists is fully compatible with Blender. You can use both asides to make yourself a picture. The files are transferable. So try it, you loose nothing.
For a deeper description of the differences have a look at our comprarison page: The differences to Blender
In short, the main differences between Bforartists 2 and Blender 2.8x are:
- An own keymap, which is reduced to just the necessary hotkeys and a navigation that can be purely done by mouse.
- Cleaned up User Interface. Lots of unnecessary double, triple or even more identical menu entries removed.
- Extended User Interface. Many tools that were formerly hotkey only have a menu entry now.
- Rearranged User Interface. Some things are better accessible now, some are not so much in the way anymore.
- Colored and as double as much icons than Blender.
- A configurable toolbar with icon buttons.
- Improved layouts.
- Left aligned checkboxes and text where possible.
- Better tooltips.
- Better readable standard theme.
- Some neat add-ons to improve usability, like the reset 3D View add-on or the Set Dimensions add-on with which you can scale in world coordinates in edit mode.
- And lots more small details like not so much confirm dialogs.
A detailed list of the changes can be found in the release notes: www.bforartists.de/wiki/release-notes
But the code is just half of the show. Another important bit are the non code things.
- The target audience for Bforartists are hobbyists and indie developers. Blender tries to target professionals. That’s a completely different audience and development target.
- We have a better manual. The Blender manual is unsearchable in big parts, has an odd structure, and still relies heavily on the Blender keymap to name just a few flaws. This makes it nearly unusable for users. And that’s why we have rewritten it. With the tools in mind, not the hotkeys. Without odd opinions like Angle based is better than LSCM to unwrap. Without general CG Tutorials for a tool, and forgetting to describe how the tool really works and what it does. And a structure that follows the editors and the menus.
- We are not bound to the Blender bubble. Bforartists has its own eco system.