Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    eric
    Participant
    • Posts 16

I’ve been wanting to try BFA if it wasn’t for my dreaded fear. One day you guys will declare to no longer update builds and I will have to learn to use Blender plain old instead. I fear getting into so many bad habits, such as “oh yeah I can’t do this with regular Blender” then I would have to unlearn everything, which is 10 times harder than to learn something new.

#23171 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Hey eric,

For me it’s the other way around. Why shouldn’t i use the better solution as long as it is available? Enjoy the ride as long as possible 🙂

For your biggest fear, i can assure you that i don’t have any plans to stop the fork any soon. I work since 2015 at this project now. It is no mayfly and still fun. And there is already somebody in the team who wants to continue the project in case i step back. So there is no need to worry about the future of Bforartists 🙂

You can also simply use both asides and try out what fits your needs best. The blend files are 100% compatible. You don’t loose anything. I personally jump forward and backward between Blender and Bforartists without bigger problems. Blender is just very uncomfortable and slow to use for me here and there. It’s like always scratching my left ear with my right hand.

In the end a mesh is a mesh. And the toolset is equal, even most workflows are. We don’t reinvent the wheel, we “just” heavily improve what is available. This means that the very most knowledge is transferable between Blender and Bforartists. So whatever you choose, i am happy with either decision. The fun at 3D should union us. And not divide us into users of this or that software 🙂

Kind regards

Reiner

This is my signature. You can change your signature in the profile

#23173 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Yeah, I had the same fears, but I have been having someone in my studio team investigate on how to work the code, and eventually we will have another developer who is able to do frequent merges and updates over time, it’s just.. studying and investment in time and talent – I have my career kinda migrated and dependant on Bforartists, so as long as I’m in business… there may be a backup. That is the beauty of opensource – and also the extra freedom with a repository on Github. Also, Reiner is a bamph and has had this alive for a very long time now, many years now. I wouldn’t worry about it, and enjoy the Blender features with the BFA UI philosophy. The Blender workflow isn’t removed with this fork, it’s just exposed and optimized really. You can even migrate Bforartists hotkeys to Blender if ever the day comes, if ever.

:dance:

#23174 Likes: 0
    eric
    Participant
    • Posts 16

One last question.

When I need help doing something I often have to go to either blender.stackexchange.com or blenderartists.org to get help such as:

Fixing my broken python script.
    How do I give Blender rights to launch software to edit images in Windows 10?
    How do I set current pose as rest pose with Rigify?

Is this board a good place to get help with such questions when I don’t know how to do something with bforartists or just plain Blender? :unsure:

#23176 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

This is the place, yes. When we are able to help then we will help. But you might also get a good answer in Blender Stack Exchange already, or even at the Blender Community board when it’s a more general problem.

Also have a look at our Discord server. Lots of helpful and nice people there 🙂

Kind regards
    Reiner

This is my signature. You can change your signature in the profile

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.