Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Reiner
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder. Need to make an issue here ^^

#19510 Likes: 0
      Reiner
      Participant

Geez, no hiding of geometry in texture paint mode? How is one supposed to reach inner regions then?

Workaround: duplciate mesh, delete geometry that’s in the way. paint, go back to original mesh, duplicate mesh … -.-

#19513 Likes: 0
        Reiner
        Participant

Textured. Now sculpting and baking. And then the material. Not sure if i should go the PBR way here.

#19516 Likes: 0
          Reiner
          Participant

Hm, setting up erverything correct for baking is still a mystery here and there. Mesh was invisible, and the bake button turned greyed out. Took me a while to find out that it was the invisible mesh. I also ran into the cyclic dependencies trap again with baking the textures. I just can’t imagine of a good way to lead the user in a better way :/

#19517 Likes: 0
            Reiner
            Participant

Why sculpt when you can displace? ^^

Makes also the normalmap obsolete. Hopefully. I hope my old pc can handle the scene then. We will see.

#19519 Likes: 0
              Reiner
              Participant

And material is also setup. A few tweaks remains. Translucent and SSS eats up the texture when chosen too strong. And the displacement map needs a bit more love. There are regular artifacts. But in general i’m close to what i wanted to achieve :)

Scene is attached.

Now i need a snail body too …

#19520 Likes: 0
                davis
                Participant

Looking good. – You could use your displacement texture with a contrast adjustments on the roughness and specular inputs to make the ridges more reflective than the grooves. Also using the diffuse texture in the specular color slot might make the reflections more realistic by coloring them slightly with the underlaying color.

#19521 Likes: 0
                  Reiner
                  Participant

Great tips. Could you be so kind to modify the file with the changes? I’m in general still lost with the Cycles nodes ^^

#19522 Likes: 0
                    davis
                    Participant

Sure, no problem. Find the adjusted material attached. – The trick with the translucent material mixed with the principled shader is not really neccessary. I would simply use SubsurfaceScattering for this, unless you want to make a rendering, where the snailhouse is actually lit completely through from the back? – You could even skip that completely for faster rendering depending on the lighting of the final scene.

A bit of explanation of the nodes

1. The math node is not really neccessary, but I used it for illustration purposes here. The larger the SSS radius, the more area the light shining through the object will affect. – I put a purple light into the shell for testing.
                      2. I used an RGB Curves node to modify the diffuse texture for the SSS color. By giving it more contrast, dark parts of the shell will appear darker and light parts lighter, when light is shining through the object. The Hue/Saturation after that is used to take the amount of color added by the contrast down a bit.
                      3. Another RGB Curves node is used to tone down the diffuse map using it for the specular (reflection amount) and specular tint (reflection color) input. You could split this into one RGB curve for each input for better control over reflectivity and color, or use the displacement map for the specular input instead. But it seemed to work out that way, so I kept it simple here.
                      4. The input to the roughness value runs through a color ramp node. A white value would make the material completely rough, a black value would make a completely clear reflection. That´s why the light/dark values are reversed, so that the higher parts of the displacement will be more reflective. By adjusting the grey values in the color ramp the glossiness can be changed.

I hope that helps? – Curious to see the snail you are going to put in there?;)

#19523 Likes: 0
                      Reiner
                      Participant

Ah, many thanks for this. I would have never figured this one out by my own :)

I dunno how the snail will look. It’s been a while that i made art. And i am usually a game developer. At least i was for many years. Realism and stills isn’t my strong side really. Of course it has to fit to the snail house then. We will see :)

#19533 Likes: 0
                        Reiner
                        Participant

Snailbody modeled. Now unwrapping and texturing. Still not sure if i should again displace or if i should sculpt this time. But i guess i will try the displace way again.

#19534 Likes: 0
                          Reiner
                          Participant

Ran into several crashes while sculpting with dynatopo. Needs investigation

Ran into several problems with the try to bake textures. One was the almighty cyclic dependencies. Needs investigation.

No vertex color baking in Cycles yet. Bummer!

EDIT, render from vertex color seems to work with a special node setup. Render TO vertex color with an addon.

#19535 Likes: 0
                            Reiner
                            Participant

Body is done. The material is once more killing me here. But it could be worse. And i will do the fine adjustments in the final scene then*. Important is that all textures are finished.

*I was not able to append the snailhouse. I had to export the mesh, and reimport it in the current scene. That’s why the snailhouse is missing the good material and displacement here. The modifiers are in the way with appending it seems.

#19536 Likes: 0
                              Draise
                              Participant

I find appending groups is the best way to transfer data, or even the scene.  With a group everything related to the object will come with it in the group. 

:dance:

#19537 Likes: 0
                                Reiner
                                Participant

You mean i should create a group with just the snailhouse? Worth a try :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.