Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    garagebay9
    Participant
    • Posts 5

I’m trying to set up the selection modifier hotkeys to match 3dsmax (CTRL to add to selection , ALT to subtract from current selection, etc).  25 years of muscle memory is just too much to overcome anytime soon…

I’m having trouble making sense of the listed commands in the keymap menu since multiple entries just say “Tweak” or something similar.  Anybody got a link to the documentation or a guide that covers that part of the UI well?

#23344 Likes: 0
    BFA-Reiner
    Keymaster
    • Posts 719

Hi garagebay9,

This part is unfortunately not documented. The Blender Keymap manager is a very special hell anyways, where even Blender developers are partially lost with. But Tweak is usually simply a mouse action. To move the time marker for example.

Here you can find some advice at Blender Artists: https://blenderartists.org/t/how-to-get-3ds-max-shortcuts-in-blender-2-8/1136913

Kind regards

Reiner

This is my signature. You can change your signature in the profile

#23365 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

The things you would have to change (per editor) is “Select”. So filter ALL the “select” operators. You will get all the listings, and they won’t tell you which is add or subtract, but there will be terms like “extend” and others inside the operators. If you open each with the hotkey modifiers in the list from the filter per editor/mode, you can then tell what they do and how you want.

But as mentioned, the hotkey manager system is still really bad. Blender devs have nodded that it needs to be fixed, but the tasks are not slated for releases in the near future. So.. you will have to do this manually, as it has no conflict testing, it has not global hotkey overriding (change select in one, it changes all instances of it), and it creates a bit of a mess if not careful.

But the filter should help you to figure out how they are programmed, and how to change them.

:dance:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.