Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Hm, seems that i have to compare the addons here again. In Blender VRay is already gone.

#19594 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

“You mentioned essentials and extended. So that could split the Cycles materials into two big categories again.”

The essential and extended library would only be a solution to keep the download size small. It should be just one library, with different material categories as written above. – Let’s just start making some materials and see how large the download turns out.

#19595 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Agreed :)

I have run into a little problem meanwhile. Adding materials does not work as thought. The add button is broken. Seems that we need to manipulate the existing blend files directly. I just have no idea how to deal with the categories yet. Still investigating.

#19596 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

Did you have a look at the dynamat addon by the way and if there would be a way to integrate that functuionality into BFA?

#19597 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Not yet. That would be the task now. Polishing the Material Library VX addon. But when we already have problems to add our own materials … :/

#19598 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Had a quick look now, and wow, this shoe to extend the addon with the functionality from the other is a bit too big for me. It’s not done with a few tweaks. That’s something much bigger.

The task could quickly become obsolete anyways. There is Blender 2.8 ahead. Which comes with a completely new way of dealing with assets.

Bottom line: Let’s just add more materials for now. And make more categories. What we could borrow is some materials. But some of them are pretty big.

#19599 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Okay, i got told how it works to add a material. First be in the main category. Filter must be off. Then create a material. Save the blend file. Add the currently selected material with the Add button. The material should be in the list now. Select it. Choose the category where you want it to be. Then press the “Add, Remove. Reload Apply …” button. The one with the back arrow icon. And finally tick the filter button. The material should be in the category now. And is stored in the library.

Phew :)

#19602 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Sounds.. complicated. 

:dance:

#19604 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Typical Blender workflow i guess ^^

#19610 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

I started out with the simplest of the material categories. – Paint –

High Gloss Paint is done so far. ;)

If anyone wants to join creating those materials, please pick a complete category from the list above and create all the related materials for it. –  This will be a great exercise. :D – Just mention which category you will be working on here, so we don´t do double work. – Corrections and improvements can be done later. Let´s first focus on creating all of the materials right now.

If you want to use it, I created a sample scene using the BfA logo as a material placeholder. Download below.

#19611 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Looks like a great material. Surely a good addition :)

There are of course already the standard materials from the Materials Library VX addon. And we could borrow a few materials from the other addon.

I am currently busy with preparing the next Bforartists version. Which is hopefully done in the next days. Then i’ll join this task again, and will have a look to create the new categories and join the first new created materials :)

#19614 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

The materials for the first category “paint & coating” are done. – Download below.

Next I´ll work on the metals.

#19615 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

Metal is also done, let´s see when I find some time to do some more? ;) – This is really a great exercise and the updated node menus are awesome, allowing a really fast visual workflow.

#19620 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Awesome :)

#19624 Likes: 0
    davis
    Participant
    • Posts 295

Next batch done.

Ceramics & Glass

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.