Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ratatosk
    Participant
    • Posts 9

Hi! I’ve just discovered this fantastic project. yes

I use Blender as a “helper” 3D program to do the things I can’t do in Sketchup Pro and Lumion (I work as a Garden Designer, and draw a lot of my projects in Sketchup, except plants and other advanced models, which I draw in Blender, and then import into Lumion) It’s such a fast workflow, but Blender UI makes me so angry and confused sometimes that your project seems like a godsend to me. 

I also have a graphic designer education, and have been skinning a lot of programs in my youth. 

I have very little programming skills apart from Actionscript. I believe I know a lot about user experience, and I’m well trained in making icons.

RIght now in my honest opinion the icons can be improved upon, and I believe different icon groups should be identified “at glance”.

I’ll make a mockup if you are interested. smiley

This is your projects so of course I understand if you see things differently.

Anyways I’d like to contribute in some way if it is possible. 

#17021 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Hey Ratatosk,

Welcome. I am glad that you like the project :)

We are open to any suggestions. And we are always interested in help. And you can of course also try to improve the icons. When your icons turns out to be better than the current ones, then count them included. I know that mine are a bit too colourful here and there. Some of them needs a few more development cycles. But it could be worse :)

Have you had a look at the icon sheet so far? Do you know how things works? Have you compiled Bforartists already?

There are also other tasks available when you have too much spare time left. Mainly around the documentation and tutorials at the moment :)

#17023 Likes: 0
    Ratatosk
    Participant
    • Posts 9

Thanks! smiley

I agree. And many of your icons are beautiful. I would like a simpler expression (because there are so many of them). Colors can still be used, but with great delicate care.

I have no idea how things work. I’ve never compiled. 

Where would I go about find the icon sheet? And is it possible to change the default blender icons? 

I need more time using the software before I can jump into documentation and tutorials. But I see the need. 

And btw. In the last hour I learned 4-5 new things in Blender, I mean BforArtists, without slaving through a tutorial. Excellent!

#17024 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

The important bit at the moment is to have the icons onboard and at their place at all. Improvements can follow later :)

What makes it hard here is the sheer amount of icons. And the size, which is limited to 16 x 16 pixels.

I have no idea how things work. I’ve never compiled. 

I see a little problem here ^^

The icons themselves exists as one big icon sheet in svg format. A vector graphics file from Inkscape. The icons then gets converted into a png file. This png file gets split up into single icons in c format. And this single icons gets compiled into the software then. And so you would need to be able to compile Bforartists to see your changes in action.

When you are at Windows then this tutorial here could help you: https://bforartists.de/data/tuts/Building_Bforartists_with_Cmake_and_VS_2013_at_Windows_7.pdf

For Linux you might need to have a look at the Blender tutorial.

#17025 Likes: 0
    Ratatosk
    Participant
    • Posts 9

Yeah, it’s the same old story, that designers need to be programmers as well. crying

I’ll have a look into it, but this looks like a whole new field of expertise.

Thanks for the link.

#17026 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

That’s unfortunately the way it is, sorry. But you don’t need to write code. Just to change the icons and to compile. And to commit it at one point to the repository :)

Compiling is just one part though. To update the icons requires a few more steps. But first let’s have a look that you are able to compile :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.