Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GumbaRumba
    Participant
    • Posts 3

So either there is no delete hotkey on the latest mac build or I’m going insane. I’m trying to delete edges and vertices in edit mode and entire objects in object mode, but the my selection just gets deselected. I’ve tried everything I can think of with no luck. I love the software, but am going bonkers since my only windows machine (with a proper delete key instead of only backspace) i cant use while on the move.

HAAAAALP?!

#17799 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Hi GumbaRumba,

This doesn’t sound healthy. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have you tried Bforartists 0.9.2? Does it work there as expected? Or does it fail there too already?

Mac remains a special chapter. I have none. So when something breaks in Mac, but not in the Windows version, then i am simply lost :/

#17805 Likes: 0
    GumbaRumba
    Participant
    • Posts 3

I’ll try 0.9.2, but shouldn’t there be a way to rebind the hotkey? I’d need to change it from the Delete key anyway and that could help discern whether or not it’s the Delete functionality or just the hotkey. Hell, I’ll even run some stuff through the python console if I have to (I’m a professional software engineer, so it wouldn’t be the hackiest thing I’ve ever done.)

#17806 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Sure you can. But the question is for me more why the key is broken. Do we have a broken installer file up? Did something else corrupt the keymap? What happens when you reset Bforartists to factory settings?

Mh, Bforartists uses a different delete method than Blender. We don’t call the delete menu anymore. Which leads me to the second thing that you could try. Switch to Blender keymap, and have a look if delete works there. Here it should call the delete menu quiz in edit mode.

#17807 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Delete in Edit Mode happens through a special addon. We don’ t use Blender code here. Just curious, when you type in smart delete in the search field in the Input manager in the User Preferences, do you have the Smart Delete entry then?

#17808 Likes: 0
    GumbaRumba
    Participant
    • Posts 3

Yeah, I do remember trying smart delete through the search menu and even binding it through the key bindings menu to Backspace and it didn’t delete anything. All it did was deselect my selection and left it alone.

Smart Delete is there, but I figured the reason it didn’t delete anything because of blender’s definition of “smart.” You and I both know how well “smart” software works sometimes.

#17811 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Smart delete is one of our addons to improve the usability. It works only in Edit mode. That’s not a Blender feature. And the problem is, it works just fine here. So nothing to fix ^^

At least i have my answer now. You did modifications to the keymap. When it deselects instead of deleting, then you have most probably an overriding problem for some hotkeys, in this case select/deselect.

Have you tried to reset to factory defaults and start from scratch? Does delete work with the factory settings?

Note that when you do some modifications and save them, then uninstall Bforartists, and reinstall it, then this modifications are still there. They are stored at your PC in a settings folder. And not uninstalled. We talk about the content in a path like this. I hope it is the right one, i don’t have a Mac:

/Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Bforartists/2.79/

The Bforartists folder does not exist after a new installation. It gets created when needed. At least at Windows. Dunno how it works at Mac. Anyways. When you save a file, then the history gets created here. When you save your user preferences, then a blend file gets saved there with the changed user preferences. And when you save the startup file, another blend file gets saved here with the new settings and adjustments. Here you will also find addons that are installed afterwards. And keymaps when you create a new one.

To make sure that really all old settings are gone, simply delete the Bfoartists folder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.