Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

This guy has done some great improvements a while back, and someone from United3Dartists.com decided to fusion this guys work with Bforartists, and was pretty happy with the result. I wanted to take a look and see what was done. I liked some of them, mainly the shortcuts and pie menu workflows with some changes pretty substantial, like click and square drag to select, F to focus, the similar WER workflow, and added pie menus replacing a lot of Blenders default features, similar to a disussions concerning popup menus being added back here.

He even did his shortcut changes while still maintaining the idea of Blenders, but also tried to keep it standard to Maya’s system. I like how some addons and features are already included, some for retopology, others for sculpting, and others for UI navigation and control.

Video

Link to Thread and Download

Link to more changes and addons included

Maybe assimulating some of the complimentary systems from here might save some legwork?

:dance:

#18166 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

Personally I don’t like the selection first then hold hotkey to move objects, Silo style.. that sucks. But there may be a clue to make box select with a hotkey pressed instead of having it to activate.

Like this, for the outliner:

Outliner

LMB DragMarquee Highlight Items
    RMBOutliner Object Operation Menu
    Shift LMB 2xClickSelection ala Shift+LMB in general Windows usage
    Ctrl Shift LMBDeselect

Or these for linking with edit mode:

Edit Mode Hotkeys

LMB DoubleClickSelect Linked
    Shift LMB DoubleClickExpand Selection to Linked

The pie menu’s are intersting, that’s for sure. There is one for snapping too, which would replace the snapping popup, also handy ones for orientation and the like. I know…. pie menus are pretty new, but they are really useful once learnt, and having them well setup with great defaults for artists would be really cool to have in BFA…, not all, but some good ones.   

#18167 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

I can’t say I’m a big fan of it all, but I like to know that things are possible.

Maybe we can also include the retopology tools and some ideas from this concept.

#18169 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Dunno, i would have to test it. But i am a single minded guy, not made for multitasking really. And my focus is at making and implementing the icons at the moment. So that we can finally come to the workflow chapter, and fix such things that you mention here ^^

I personally don’t want to go too far away from the Blender hotkeys really. We would loose too much potential users when the keymap becomes completely foreign for Blender users.

Personally I don’t like the selection first then hold hotkey to move objects, Silo style.. that sucks. But there may be a clue to make box select with a hotkey pressed instead of having it to activate.

Hm. It’s still a Blender code thing. The box select is not made to hold down a key and select. You have to activate it with a key, then you perform the selection. That’s what we have to deal with. And B for box select is imho perfectly fine.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.