Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    digimooses
    Participant

Hi.

This is FYI.

I downloaded BFA for the first time last Monday, installed it and it was working ok with my Mac Studio M1 Max. Then I met problems with HDR LightStudio Blender addon and decided to remove the BFA app.

Since I am curious and persistent guy, I decided to download BFA again on Wednesday, but the following error occurred: ”Bforartists.app” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.

Downloaded it for several times. I tried Ctrl/ right click/open. Didn’t help.

Then I made ”xattr -cr” operation with the Terminal, and that fixed the situation, and opened the app again. But, if I understood correctly, this is not the right way to proceed.

But. There are also good news. Now 3DConnexion Space Mouse works with the Monday- and this Wednesday xattr -cr -version of BFA 3.3.0.

Was I just lucky on last Monday, or what happened on Wednesday?

Bforartists in now the only Mac Intel app, which is not working with Rosetta 2 on my Mac Studio M1 Max. I am running Fusion 360 and 3DCoat also with no errors. Also the previous Mac version of Bforartists worked but not with 3DConnexion Space Mouse.

Just letting you know.

BR

Digimooses

Attachments:
      #24902 Likes: 0
      BFA-Reiner
      Keymaster

Hi digimooses,

Thanks for the report. I have unfortunately no idea what is going on, sorry. Maybe the download was simply damaged. I will make a tracker entry and ask our Mac maintainer if he has an idea.

EDIT, task created. https://github.com/Bforartists/Bforartists/issues/3257

You can at any point report such things directly to the tracker too 🙂

This is my signature. You can change your signature in the profile

#24910 Likes: 0
        digimooses
        Participant

Thanks for fast reply.

I will bookmark the link. I just tested with Blender 3.3.0 Intel-Mac version, and it works ok, if this helps at all.

#24911 Likes: 0
          BFA-Reiner
          Keymaster

They don’t compile for us, so … ^^

#24921 Likes: 0
            BFA-Reiner
            Keymaster

Our Mac maintainer had a look at it, but can’t do anything here scine he misses the device to test. So there is little that we can do here, sorry.

#24939 Likes: 1
              digimooses
              Participant

Ok.

No worries. Thanks for trying. Let’s hope that the coming version of Bforartists Mac version works better. However, I did some rendering speed tests with this ”xattr -cr” operated version of Bforartists 3.3.0, and compared the results with Blender 3.3.1 LTS.

Classroom test file. With Cycles GPU Render and 300 samples, 2K Image:

Blender Apple Silicon 3.3.1: 1.28.95 (Min, secs)

Bforartists Apple Intel 3.3.0: 1.28.19 (Min, secs)

With BMW test file and 1225 samples, 2K image:

Blender 40.48 sec

Bforartists 48.68 sec

So it seems that Rosetta 2 is not making the rendering speed any slower in Mac Intel version of Bforartists when comparing the results with the native Apple Silicon Blender version.

This post has received 1 Likes.
                #24940 Likes: 0
                BFA-Reiner
                Keymaster

We have meanwhile released Bforartists 3.3.1. The mac version may need a few more days though. But i fear it wil have the same trouble to you 🙂

#24941 Likes: 0
                  digimooses
                  Participant

I know that Mac users are the minority in this business. Specially the Apple Silicon users, since the  rendering power and power/cost are on the PC side. I will keep my fingers crossed. 🤞

#24996 Likes: 0
                    digimooses
                    Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed didn’t help. Bforartists version 3.3.1 does not open on Mac Studio Max either. It gives the same error as the previous version 3.3.0.

#24997 Likes: 0
                      BFA-Reiner
                      Keymaster

That’s sad to hear. Well, it is a general problem of the Mac that it has now two architectures. Just that i have asked, would you mind to get involved and compile a BFA version that works at your mac from time to time? 🙂

#25006 Likes: 1
                        digimooses
                        Participant

Thanks for asking about my interest of getting involved. Unfortunately I am just a learning user, not a coder. I have also decided to stick with the Apple Silicon version of Blender from now on.

But I hope you will find an Apple Silicon maintainer in the future.

This post has received 1 Likes.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.