Unleash the power of 3D
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pandaranda
    Participant
    • Posts 1

hi There,

This is my 1st post here.

I am coming from a CAD background. The keystroke shortcuts of old-school B have been driving me Nucking Futs.

This is a random Idea, a pop-up Quad Type Floating Menu, That could be arranged between viewports (vertically) or would happen as a pop-up menu

wherever The cursor is Located, or could be pinned on The screen for its Location, but be a auto-hide-able Menu. it would disappear unless needed

(see attached Image)

The Top row of The Menu is The category(s):

<!–break–>

each #-Menu Item could occupy as MANY of The 5×10 Icon locations as necessary.

This could be user selected for what You would want This pop-up Menu To be. (so it works for You)

if You select #1 (in The Top Menu) This could be for Modeling, etc options

#1 Modeling

#2 Editing

#3 Materials / Nodes

#4 Rendering

#5 etc whatever

on The right side of The 5×10 (or whatever size) Menu would be a Text Tool Tip To explain what each Icon is 

This maybe could be configured To be Toggled OFF once You get used to where & what The Icons actually are.

1) This could be arranged To show/display as MANY of The most Important Icon/Functions, so it is The same for everyone

2) or,This could be arranged by end-user selection for your own personal WORKFLOW, so That You select your own Flow.

This would NOT overwrite or in any way have To have any effect on any previously pre-existing Icon arrangements, but duplicate

just be an add-on Idea. That is Temporary on The screen. This comes from an Idea back in 2000 when I suggested The Quad Menus

for Autodesk VIZ, which came from an Idea That when You right-clicked on an object in Autocad it displayed The properties of That Object.

just a random Idea, I was falling asleep. so This is NOT well Thought Out, but maybe someone can figure out if This is possible or useful.

Thanks. I have not even done a project yet, but workflow and screen display usability is something I am seriously Interested in. I wrote about

400 AutoLISP routines back in 1990 & 1991, defining Numerical # as commands. This was really quick.

o well, nice To meet You all, back To sleep.

Take care, Randy

Take 2.0

Numerical Input. The 5×10 Menu could be called by typing >> 000 << on The keyboard

I dont Think There is anything That has This sequence of #’s in BFA, not sure my 2nd day

The Top row which is The Main Menu of category could go from 1 to 5 (or more)

& Then The vertical row & The horizontal row ICONs could be Located by Their Location

so, example. zum beispiel, say >> 135 << would be The

1 = 1st category (in The Top row)

3 = The 3rd row down vertically

5 = the 5th position over in The matrix of ICONs

so whatever That ICON is would bring You into That Function.

maybe using The #’s 0 – 9 would be better Than having >>10<< keep it simple

Theoretically, once You were used To the ICONs Locations & what command functions They called,

You could input >> ### << and go directly into a Function. not sure if This makes sense or is possible.

but This is more Like what I did with AutoLISP (c:defun 00 () (“.command” “.save” “”)) ;;;This may not be factually correct, just an example

I use a right-handed mouse Left-handed with no change or reaarangement To it. so my right hand is right on The numerical Input keypad.

This is very handy for quick numerical Input.

#19689 Likes: 0
    Reiner
    Participant
    • Posts 4,699

Hi pandaranda,

This sounds like a job for the pie menu :)

Pie menu is an addon that comes already with Bforartists. And we want to make it useful at one point. We just haven’t started at it yet. The vanilla version from Blender is pretty bare bone, and just of use for programmers, unfortunately.

Kind regards

Reiner

#19699 Likes: 0
    Draise
    Participant
    • Posts 1,211

I’ve been mulling over pie menu’s concept lately, just back of the head. It’s good to see you also have ideas for something similar.

I have tested the current Pie menus out a lot lately, testing them – they are pretty rudimentary. The circular system works in a way, but it’s hard to see what does what at a quick glance, but once you know it, it’s awesome and very quick – adding great features to one hotkey and some mouse movements (instead of one hotkey = one action), ultimately minimalizing the memory load – indeed a grid or list sometimes is easier to get an overview though.

I have also been using a swipe panel in Android that have both, and I like it and use it a lot – more so than the window switch button with it’s list. It’s a semi circle and a grid option a level in. By far a semi circle is easier to use than a full circle. It’s a hybrid between a list and the swipe directions circle, only thinking of one general direaction, left or right, and then the angle to choose the 5-7 items (or push out further to get a grid or another semi circle).

A grid is good for overview of everything – not unlike how icon are arranged in grids in BFA. But it’s harder to use intuitively, you have to stop and search.

But.. it’s still stewing in the brain.

I do like the idea of consistent pie menus – one major killer for me with the current Pie addons is that for each Pie you have…  it adds 10s of shortcuts to memorize. Not only do they conflict and not change dynamically with the Input map – but they are.. hard to trigger. They are all over the place – and some pie menus only have 4 or 5 items, making that pie just not worth the effort crossing your hand accros the keyboard to use.

I have been thinking that in most software you Rclick and you get the floating list, dynamically – like Windows and in practically any software. Krita has a cool pie menu with a circle and to the side a list feature with Rclick also. I love that pie menu. I use it more than the actual UI.

All in all… I’m still mulling it over. I’ll make a design proposal later on this year, then hire someone to help me develop it, once I can compile correctly – and after my pending tasks… in due time.

:dance:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.